La Crosse Technology brings you one of the most affordable and reliable wireless weather stations on the market today. This model provides basic weather data in realtime and predicts the weather with animated color forecast icons.
The La Crosse Technology S88907 is recommended for home use. It’s best for those seeking a cost-effective solution. The unit comes with all the necessary features plus weather forecasting, which is actually uncommon for weather stations within its price range. However, while it is suitable for personal use, it may not be adequate for meteorologists or professionals.
Connection and Transmission Distance
The S88907 is a wireless device. It comes with a remote sensor and an all-in-one color display. The sensor, which is place outside, transmits the weather data to the display inside without requiring a cable connection.
The transmission distance of La Crosse Technology S88907 is 300 feet, which means that the sensor and the display should never be more than 300 feet apart. This may not be the case if there are obstructions, however. Ideally, the outdoor sensor should be placed in your backyard.
The sensor system of La Crosse Technology S88907 runs on 2 AA alkaline batteries, and its estimated battery life is 1 year. The display primarily works on a 5.0V AC power adapter, and for backup, it needs 3 AAA alkaline batteries.
The La Crosse Technology S88907’s wireless sensor unit consists of a thermometer and hygrometer for measuring temperature and humidity. The display also has indoor sensors for measuring conditions in your home. The key features of this instrument are as follows;
- Perpetual calendar and 12 or 24-hour atomic time.
- Programmable time alarm.
- Animated forecast and forecast tendency indicator.
- Indoor and outdoor temperatures and humidity.
- The indoor comfort level based on relative humidity. For this, it displays if the condition is dry, too dry, too wet or okay.
- Battery Alert for both sensor and display.
- Signal strength indicator.
- Heat index, dew point and alerts for high and low temperatures.
The update frequency of La Crosse Technology S88907 is considerable. Its temperature and humidity sensors update data every 30 seconds.
The accuracy of weather forecasting provided by this device is 70% to 75% percent.
The range for indoor and outdoor temperature is 0°C to 50°C and -40°C to 60°C, respectively. For relative humidity, its range is 1% to 99%.
WWVB self-setting feature automatically sets the time and date with automatic daylight time updates.
Cost and Warranty
La Crosse Technology S88907 might be the best weather station within its price range. If you’re on a budget, then this is a great choice.
La Crosse Technology provides a 1-year limited warranty with this unit from the date of purchase. The company stands behind its products, so you won’t have to worry about losing out on your investment.
- It’s a wireless weather station, so the installation is quick and easy.
- It’s affordable.
- It has a forecasting feature, which is uncommon for units within this price tier.
- Its transmission distance is not as high as other high-end stations.
- Due to wireless technology, there may be a signal loss at times.
- You can’t connect it to other external devices, like a PC or Smartphone. If you plan to analyze weather data, this unit is not for you.
- It doesn’t have sensors for wind and rain, so you will miss some basic weather data like wind speed, wind direction, and rainfall.
La Crosse Technology S88907 may not have advanced features, but it’s perfect for keeping an eye on the weather. Its sensor is also less bulky compared to other weather stations. All in all, the La Crosse Technology S88907 is an ideal choice for those looking for a simple, cost-effective solution. It would make a wonderful gift for someone who would benefit from detailed, real-time weather insight which can’t always be provided by the news. If this sounds like someone you know or yourself, then the La Crosse Technology S88907 is highly recommended.