The Ambient Weather WS-1200 weather station is a solar-powered wireless weather station, which is extremely reliable with great accuracy at an affordable price. This weather station has a dual processing technology with an easy-to-install design. It has two sensor arrays, one for outdoors and the other for indoors, both of which transmits data of 915 MHz, which is displayed on the screen of the console that also comes along with the unit. This weather station is solar powered, and the outdoor unit depends on solar energy, while the indoor unit runs on an external power supply.
The Ambient Weather WS-1200 wireless station comes with a console, all-in-one outdoor sensor array and indoor sensor array, that makes the unit complete with many useful features;
- The maximum transmission of this weather station is 330 ft line of sight and in most conditions, due to walls and obstructed, the line of sight is 100 ft.
- The outdoor all-in-one unit integrated sensor suit array is wireless and solar powered, which measures outdoor temperature, humidity, rainfall, wind speed and direction, UV and solar radiation.
- The indoor sensor array consists of thermometer, hygrometer, and barometer, which measures the indoor temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure.
- The indoor temperature ranges from 32°F to 140° F, and the outdoor temperature varies from -40°F to 149°F. Both outdoor humidities range from 10% to 99%.
- The indoor unit runs on 5V DC input power that can be charged with the 120V charger that comes along with the unit. It consumes the power of 7.5 watts.
- The console of this weather station has colored TFT LCD screen, and it is significant with display dimensions 6.25 inches by 3.5 inches.
- Along with weather variables like temperature, humidity, rainfall, UV or solar radiation, wind speed, and directions; the heat index, dew point, and rainfall rate can also be viewed.
- Date, time, sunrise and sunset time and various moon phases are displayed on the screen of the console.
- The multi-screen console displays both metric and imperial unit of measurement along with all parameter measurements.
- Alarms can be set in both high and low tones with good quality and audible alerts.
- The wind speed and wind directions are updated at an interval of every 16 seconds.
- It also provides graphs for humidity, temperature, and barometric pressure.
- The console also displays the minimum and the maximum weather conditions with date and time and achieved data of many days can be viewed. The data can also be exported to the external SD card, which can be used for analysis in excel.
- The screen of the console is clear, specific and easy to read, with automatic brightness settings that update the brightness of the screen depending on the time of the day. The console is very thin and can be mounted on the wall.
The Ambient Weather WS-1200 wireless doesn’t use any radio or WiFi connectivity to transmit the data to the console, and it has very own technology, which doesn’t lose signals quickly even at the extreme weather conditions. The bubble level installation of the ambient weather station makes the mounting and setup much more comfortable. In case due to low solar power and storage, the external sensor might not work, but the indoor sensor array will keep working, and the console will still display the indoor data.
The Ambient Weather WS-1200 weather station has some limitations as well that one would like to reconsider before purchasing this product. The primary drawback of this weather station is that it doesn’t connect to the PC directly or cannot communicate to the Internet. The data cannot be synchronized with any external website link from the console. The wireless signals from this weather station cannot pass through metal, ground or earth. The durability of this weather station won’t last long if it is used in a salt water environment and also it won’t be able to provide an accurate report if used in that situation. This unit is not resistant to extreme freezing conditions, so it is not recommended for Arctic Circle areas.
The Ambient Weather WS-1200 wireless weather station is very easy to set up, with strong reliability and accuracy. If one is interested only in keeping up-to-date with the weather conditions without the need for other trends, then this unit is a perfect choice, as it has an affordable price with so many good features.