The Ambient Weather WS-1002 weather station is easy to install, reliable and offers dual wireless technology. It comes with a colorful LCD console and an all-in-one sensor array and provides both indoor and outdoor information. In addition, the console sends and receives data over WiFI without actually needing to connect to the internet. For weather enthusiasts, the WS-1002 is a fine choice for it is affordable and provides accurate and precise weather data. Moreover, the unit is perfect for general home use as it can connect to IFTTT to control sprinklers, thermostats and more.
The Ambient Weather WS-1002 comes with 3 components: 1) an observer, 2) a console and 3) an all-in-one integrated sensor array. This weather station has advanced features that surpass most entry-level models. You may even pair it with a smartphone or tablet by downloading the Ambient Weather App.
Sensor arrays (2)
- Transmits 915MHz with a 300′ line of sight.
- Measures temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, solar radiation, and rainfall. The temperature sensor ranges from -40° F to 149°F and humidity sensor from 10% to 99%.
- It also has an indoor sensor array (AKA the Observer), which consists of a thermometer, hygrometer, and barometer, which measure the indoor temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure, respectively.
- Temperature and humidity sensors are housed in a radiation shield, which helps in providing more accuracy.
- The Observer run off of 2x AAA while the outdoor sensor array uses solar power, but can run off of 3x AA if need be..
- The console display of this weather station is 6.25″ X 3.5″, full colored TFT LCD, which has a delicate desktop design and can also be mounted on the wall. The brightness of the display is automatic and changes with the time of day.
- The input power of the console is 5V DC, which also includes a 6.5 foot power supply. The unit consumes 7.5 watts power.
- It displays both imperial and metric unit of measures.
- The console uses WiFi connectivity for receiving and sending data. NIST time is synchronized from the famous website, Wunderground, for no extra fee.
- It displays the time and date and enables data to be exported to an external SD card that can be viewed on a PC for analysis with Microsoft Excel.
- The sunrise, sunset and moon phases can also be viewed on the the console.
- The weather variables are updated in every 14 seconds, and the wind speed is upgraded in every 16 seconds. Additional weather variables, like dew point and rainfall rate, can also be viewed.
- Alerts can be set and there is also a graphical comparison for weather data that spans days and months.
- IFTTT connectivity for controlling sprinklers, thermostats and more.
You can synchronize the Ambient Weather WS-1002 weather station with the Wunderground website, which is the world’s most famous personal weather station hosting service. Synchronization unlocks a variety of features, like Google weather mapping, historical archiving of data, and much more. Additionally, mounting for this unit is done with ease due to its built-in bubble level. Lastly, a universal mounting pole is included with this unit, you will not need to pay extra.
The Ambient Weather WS-1002 wireless weather station also has some limitations. Like most wireless weather stations, the signal will not be able to pass through metal or earth. Moreover, the WiFi connectivity might sometimes be lost due to bad weather. As for environmental considerations, this weather station is not suitable to be used near the ocean due to potential saltwater corrosion, nor is it intended to be used in extremely cold conditions, like Arctic Circle, as this weather station is not frozen proof.
The Ambient Weather WS-1002 weather station is a perfect choice for those who enjoy connecting to weather networks and sharing data. The accuracy, reliability, advanced features and affordability makes it an ideal weather station for intermediate to advanced weather enthusiasts.