A weather station is usually required for getting information of the current weather situations of a particular location or in forecasting the future weather conditions. It is vital for the weather station to be appropriate in order to provide the exact conditions. A good weather station provides you with the most accurate data and forecast.
If the weather station is not right and cannot provide correct data, then having such unit is useless. It is very important for the buyer to know the various factors and features that most of the good weather stations have, in order to find the right and most appropriate unit. Here we will provide you some of the best factors that determine a good weather station and also few mistakes committed by others while purchasing a weather station, which must be kept in mind as lessons.
The most important factor that determines a good weather station is its accuracy. It should provide the most accurate data reports of the current weather conditions and also it should be capable of producing an accurate weather forecast. There are many low quality weather stations that are not even near to accuracy and the forecasts hardly match. The forecast of a good weather station is always accurate and real.
Include various types of sensors
Sensors are the most important units in a weather station. All the standard weather stations have three sensors fitted in it, which includes thermometer, hygrometer and anemometer. Along with these sensors, the advanced and good weather station will have more sensor units such as barometer, rain gauge and many more. A good weather station is always able to transmit data about most of the weather elements like temperature, humidity, wind direction, wind speed, rain fall, barometric pressure and some other conditions like soil wetness, heat index, etc. it must be able to provide maximum number of reports.
Wide transmission range
Most of the weather station users install their instrument at roof top or backyard, which makes the unit quite far from the console in which the readings are to be transmitted and displayed. With the walls and other obstacles, the difference is increased even more. The transmission distance should be wide enough for the data to be transmitted easily even throughout the external obstacles. A good weather station must have a very high transmission distance so that even if the weather station unit is placed at a distant zone or there are larger obstacles, the data can easily reach the console.
High elevation friendly
Many users require their weather station to be set up in mountain or hilly areas. There are those low featured weather stations that cannot be mounted on hilly areas as these are unable to transmit data at high pressure zone. There are also some high quality featured weather stations that can be installed even at higher elevations and they are easily able to transmit readings without affecting the accuracy. A good weather station should be compatible with any elevation and even at higher elevations.
Fast transmission and updating speed
The accuracy of data depends on the speed of the readings being transmitted and updated. For example, if a weather station is able to update a weather report in every 3 minutes, the data might be 3 minutes older and weather conditions can change in a matter of seconds. With faster speed of data updating, the user can get more recent and current conditions rather than the older ones. So, a good weather station must be able to provide reports more often and fast.
Organized forecast and reading display
A weather station that displays unorganized reports can be a mess for any user. It is very important to have a data in an organized manner, so that the user is able to understand the details easily and also the past weather variable data should be stored in the unit properly for future use and analysis. A messed up report is of no use. A good weather station should display the data and readings clearly in a proper manner so that even beginners and unprofessional can understand it.
Shielded outdoor sensors
As sensors are the basic units of a weather station, these are also the mostly exposed units. The sensors are installed outdoors and are exposed to weather variables like heat and UV rays, which can highly affect the accuracy of the unit. Too much of heat can warm up the sensors and make them transmit false heat or temperature readings. If the sensors are shielded properly with good ventilation, then this type of issue is never encountered. The right weather station will have its fragile sensors shielded in UV or heat protective shields. Some high quality weather stations also have aspirated fans in the sensor housing to keep the sensors at normal temperature and condition.
Strong construction and weather-proof
Almost all the weather station sensor units are placed outdoors. Outdoor installation means exposure to various weather elements like heat, rain, wind and ice, which can very effectively affect the external construction of the weather station units. A good weather station must have a very strong and sturdy construction that can bear and withstand the harshest climatic conditions and last longer than expected and promised time duration. Some weather station anemometers are not ice-proof and would not run if the weather is freezing. No matter whatever the condition might be, the functionality of the units of a good weather station is never hampered.
Comes with various additional features
Including the various inclusive weather variable reports, there are also many more additional features that a high quality weather station comes with. The features include date and time display, moon phase, sunset and sunrise display, computer interface, data logger feature, UV or solar radiation reading, numerous warning tones and alerts for snow fall, rain fall, flood and storm. These features might not be as important, but a good weather station must be also able to entertain the user.
Easy installation and use
Weather stations come with numerous equipments that need to be mounted together and installed. Installing some weather stations can be very difficult due to the complicated construction of the assets to be assembled, especially if the instrument is cabled. However, there are some high quality weather stations that have been designed automatic and ready to install out of the box. A good weather station must be user conveniently easy to install and use, with readable console having easy to understand keypads and buttons.
Few Mistakes Committed by Buyers
Many a times, people regret buying a particular weather station; here are some of the most common mistakes committed by the buyers while buying a weather station;
- Incompatible unit: Some weather stations are not compatible for few climatic conditions. For example, there are few weather station brands whose products are not usable at Arctic Circle, where the temperature is freezing. It’s no use buying a unit that won’t work at all. We recommend you buying the type of weather station which is compatible for your residential location.
- Unnecessary data display: Many data means a great confusion and complication. In case you will require reports of only few weather variables, then it’s better to go for a weather station that displays only the desired reports and readings. For example, If you don’t need a data for soil moisture or leaf wetness, then you don’t have to buy a weather station that transmits these readings. You must only go for that unit which will fulfill your requirements.
- Unwanted features: As high quality weather stations come with many additional features as mentioned above, it is not always necessary for you to require those features. For example, if you are not going to use the PC interface feature then it is no use of purchasing a weather station with this feature, as this would only make the device complicated to use. Many buyers regret buying a weather station with unwanted features.
- Wrong sensor housing: Sensor housing comes in different shapes and size, and is mostly regretted by weather station buyers. You should make sure that the sensor housing is of right size and allows good ventilation. Less air-flow will make the sensor even more warm and abnormal. Before buying a weather station, make sure the housing is appropriate.
- Wireless and low signaled: Though wireless weather stations are easier to install and less messy as there won’t be any tangling issue while mounting the instrument, but the wireless units are more likely to often lose signal and vulnerable to obstructions. In case there is likely to be more obstacles and signal miss outs, it is best to go for a cabled unit, as cables are likely to carry transmission better with lesser hassle.
- Paying too much: High quality weather station has advanced and numerous features, which make the unit more costly. If you require a weather station only to keep updated with weather conditions and you don’t need many features, paying for a more advanced instrument will simply be a waste of money. Go for a high quality weather station only if you are an enthusiast or professional and if you need those features and you are likely to use your device most frequently.
Weather stations are fragile instruments and a minute mistake done by you in selection can make you regret for lifetime. Always look for the good features in the weather station and select according to your requirements. Never buy something that you don’t need, as this will only cost you extra bucks unnecessarily. It is better to take time and think now than making a rush and feeling pathetic later.