Weather is a very unpredictable element; it can change in a matter of seconds. Though these days one can predict weather conditions with the help of science and technology, but till today no invention has been made that can stop any disaster or destruction caused by the weather or the nature. There are many disastrous weather phenomena that can be very dangerous and can take many lives and destroy the livelihood of the people living in the particular disaster stricken area. It is true that the weather disaster cannot be stopped, but one can try the best to survive throughout the disaster. Here is brief information about some of the various disastrous weather phenomena and few safety tips for a person and the family, which could be very helpful.
Tornado is usually column of air rotating violently. It varies from few yards to several miles with very high intensity. It is one of the most hazardous weather disasters that almost all the continents face every year. Some tornadoes are not so destructive but some are very dangerous. Every year many lives are lost due to tornadoes.
- If one is away from home, get back home as quickly as possible and ask other family members too to remain at home.
- Put helmet and shoes if the tornado is likely to be very violent and harsh, as the helmet will assure that the head won’t be hurt even if things fall.
- Stay away from windows and take shelter in the safest room. All the family members must settle down at one room and stick together. One must keep the pets indoor if any.
- Stay updated and tuned to any warnings about the approaching tornado.
- Never leave the house during the tornado.
Earthquake is the shaking of earth surface perceptibly. It can range from slightly felt to violent and severe that can cause mass destruction. Till now many cities have been destroyed by the earthquakes. Buildings, lives and everything are destroyed when an earthquake strikes. It is the most destructive natural calamity, and to survive a severe earthquake is a real challenge, as most of the time earthquakes are never predicted accurately.
- If an earthquake is predicted, one must have an escape plan ready and keep an exit door unlocked, so that one can escape from the building or house and always stick together with rest of the family members.
- If it is an earthquake prone area then one should live in a house that has been engineered to stand even the severe earthquakes.
- When earthquake strikes, one should get out of the house immediately and take shelter at a plain area with no trees, electric posts or buildings nearby.
- Never panic or rush if the area is crowded as it might cause chaos and stamped.
Tsunami is normally called wave harbor, in which the waves of the sea or lake get abnormal strength and the waves rise up very high. Tsunami is usually caused by earthquake or volcanic eruption beneath the water body. Severe tsunamis are disastrous and can cause a great havoc to those who are settled near the sea shores or lakes, as the high waves are enough powerful to destroy any thing nearby and can also end up in severe flood. Many countries encounter severe tsunamis every year.
- One should never reside too close to the sea shores or lakes. Even if settled, one must make sure that the place of residence is at higher level than the normal plain.
- In case a tsunami is predicted, one must move to a safe place and higher area.
- Never visit any beach or nearby area if a warning about tsunami has been issued. In case any family member is already there, he/she must be informed about the warning and asked to return back home as soon as possible.
Flood is one of the most unpredictable weather phenomena, which is usually caused by heavy downpour. Floods can be very dangerous as during a sever flood a person can drown and die. Mostly flooding occurs at the low plain areas and the places where there is unorganized and unreliable drainage system. Flooding can destroy many property, livestock and livelihood.
- When a flood or heavy downpour is predicted one should try to place all the important assets at a higher level.
- Keep the drainage system clean and clear all the obstructions blocking the drain.
- When a flood occurs and the house is not submerged in flood water then one should remain indoors until the water level goes down.
- One should plan two evacuation routes and place of shelter and keep the family members updated. If the water rises up and has started to get indoors, then one should use the routes and take shelter at the planned place of shelter.
- Stay away from power lines or electric wires and switch off the main home power supply.
- After the flood, one should watch the step as there might be debris covered with water that may cause injury when stepped on.
Thunderstorms are quite natural rather than abnormal weather phenomena as during rainy season it is obvious for thunderstorms to occur. Thunderstorm is characterized by lightning and thunder, which is often followed by rain, storm, snow or hail. Sometimes thunderstorms can be severe and might cause many accidents like falling trees, fatal lightning strikes, dangerous hailstones and many more. In many cases thunderstorms can be extremely severe and can even take lives.
- One should never go out during thunderstorms and severe lightning and even if one is outdoors, shelter should be taken immediately. If at outdoors, one must never stand under a tree or post as lightning are most likely to strike at taller objects.
- Switch off all the electrical appliances and plug out from all the power supply sockets.
- In case a fire starts due to lightning and short circuit, never pour water on it to put off the fire as the water can conduct electricity, which can be extremely dangerous for the person. Instead of water one can use sand or fire extinguisher.
Everyone loves winter, but no one likes too much of everything as too much can even be harmful. In winter there is obvious to be snowfall and snow storm; if the snowfall is heavy, the weather can get extremely cold, which can affect the health. The place might be fully covered up with snow; in some cases the snow covers up so much that it makes it difficult for people to get out of their homes.
- The fire woods must be always kept ready for the fireplace to heat up the room in order to beat the chill.
- Food and groceries should be stored as the road might be blocked due to the snow.
- Doors and windows must be kept closed and sealed so that the cold breeze cannot pass through, which can decrease the room temperature.
- Drink hot water and hot meal to keep the body warm and eat heavy meals like meat, egg etc.
Heat is feared by everyone; a hot weather can be very uncomfortable. Summer is usually hot, but there are many places that encounter over heated weather. Too much heat can cause heatstroke, dehydration and many other health problems. Sometimes in extreme cases heat can even be fatal; every year many lives are lost due to extremely hot weather.
- When the weather is hot, electric fans can chill down the room temperature but after some time if the weather gets too hot, it is best to shift the family to some other place with AC.
- One should try to be indoors mostly as the heat of the sun outdoors might be unbearable and can cause heatstroke.
- Drink as much liquid as possible in order to prevent dehydration. One should avoid any drink that contains alcohol, as alcohol won’t be of much help and instead it might cause more harm.
- Adult family member or small children must be checked regular for any signs of discomfort or illness due to heat.
- Always wear light and loose clothes. The color of the clothes must be of light shade as darker colors absorb heat, which can create more discomfort.
Disaster might knock at the door anytime; the most important thing is to be prepared for any kind of disaster. It is very important to have a home emergency first aid kit as it can be very helpful if any family member gets injured due to the impact of any of the disastrous weather phenomena. One should always have a good stock of food and groceries as the weather might change any time and there might be road blockage due to various reasons like snow, flood, fallen trees, landslides and many more. One must stay tuned to radio or TV for any kind of warnings; no matter what, one must always stay updated with the various news and alerts. Family and one’s safety is the first thing that should be preferred, and then comes the rest of the things. Properties can be made again but lives are lost forever if lost once.